If you click on any link on MyTravelGadget.com & decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission.
An ultimate guide for the best 144hz gaming laptops in 2020.
Gaming is not only a passion but a way to earn bread for many around the globe. To step into the world of gaming one has to have professional equipment because a well working tool is a key to excel in any field. A gaming field demands a professional and budget-friendly gaming laptop for beating the toughest of the gaming competitions in a blink of an eye.
In a competitive digital world, gaming has become more visually impressive than ever. Only the best gaming laptops are competitive to give you the most adventurous gaming experience. Gaming laptops follow an array of features but the current article has focused on the feature of high refresh rate laptops.
Hertz of the gaming monitor solely relies on your budget the more you are generous with your budget the more are the chances to get the best results. However, keeping in view the budget-friendly aspects of our readers we have shortlisted the best “144hz gaming laptops”.
- 1 Best 144hz Gaming Laptops (IN 2020)
- 1.1 1. ROG Zephyrus G15 (2020) – Best 144hz Gaming Laptop
- 1.2 2. Acer Nitro 5 – Immersive Experience with a Comfortable Keyboard
- 1.3 3. Alienware Area-51m – Giving You an Unmatchable Keyboard
- 1.4 4. Asus TUF A15 – The Most Exciting Laptop
- 1.5 5. Acer Predator Helios 300 – Take Control of The Game
- 1.6 6. Razer Blade 15 – Ultra Small & Powerful Laptop
- 1.7 7. MSI GL65 Leopard – A Midrange Desktop Replacement that Does Not Burn a Hole In Your Pocket
- 2 FAQ’s
- 3 Buying Guide
- 4 BUYING GUIDE
What Does 144hz Mean and How it Works?
In the current era gaming has not only a source of entertainment but a source of earning for passionate gamers. Hence, gamers are looking for a comfortable gaming experience. And, 144hz laptops are considered to offer an adventurous and a professional. Now the question is what is 144hz and how we can use it?
The refresh rate is the number of times a display refreshes to show a new image… Therefore, 144hz means the displays refresh 144 times per second to show a new image.
A 144hz gaming monitor refreshes the image on the screen more than twice as fast as what a regular display would be capable of. So it has a higher refreshing speed than others. By this, we can conclude that 144hz is good for gamers.
144hz is especially good for competitive gaming as it gives the gamer a plus point over his/her opponent gamer. Now the next question is how 144hz makes gaming comfortable?
As we discussed above, 144hz has a higher refresh rate than that of 60hz so it can make smoother-looking speed that is easier on the human eyes. In fact, the most notable difference is when a 144hz user moves to a 60hz many ongoing users mention that they can see everything from video games to the cursor speed on their desktop feel sluggish when going back to 60hz.
After knowing so much about 144Hz we all must be inquisitive to know how 144hz works? A 144hz monitor allows 144fps to be displayed on the screen. There is not much use of your PC to push more than 144fps as it is really all your monitor can display. Your min fps is also an issue to create a fluid motion. So, the functionality of 144hz makes gaming even easier and comfortable.
We need 144hz because when the refresh rate increases to 144hz, the gap between frames significantly shorten so that in the same time interval, more frames will be displayed, therefore, their connection is faster and harder for human eyes to notice, which make it smoother and comfortable for a gamer.
It won’t be wrong to say that 144hz is worth it for competitive gamers and games with large budgets even if you’re not a competitive gaming person it is good for you also because 144hz makes your display smoother and easier for your eyes.
If you are using 144hz, a 1ms response time would mean that the panel will spend 144 millisecond every second transitioning frame to frame, leaving 856 milliseconds for the actual frames. The 144hz completely eliminates the choppiness and motion blur for fast movements. 144hz feels like double the frame rates. Hence, 144hz is much better and easier for a person than that of 60hz.
Is 144hz Good For Gaming? 60 vs 144hz for Gaming
The refresh rate is the number of times a display refreshes to show a new image. So, 144hz means the display refreshes 144 times per second to show a new image.
144hz is good for competitive gaming? The question sounds simple but is complicated to answer. If our games are of 144hz it can refresh the displays 144 times each second even if not a single pixel change 144hz is good for competitive gaming.
However, it is also good for story-driven games because it makes it smoother and more effective. Hence, we can say that 144hz is better than 144hz and 60hz will refresh its image 60 times per second while 144hz refreshes its image 144 times per second so 144hz is more effective than 60hz for a better gaming experience.
144hz also eliminates screen tearing and it has better visual fluidity. Many professional gamers use high refresh rate gaming monitors because it is smoother than that of lower refresh rate gaming monitors so 144hz is commonly in use nowadays.
A 144hz cuts the frame shuttering, ghosting, and blur issue during gaming while rapidly creating frames and reducing the delay between two frames. If a person wants a better experience in gaming he/she should use 144hz.
For 144hz you need either a dual-link DVI, a Displayport, or an HDMI 1.3 or higher cable. In just 6.9ms the pixels of 144hz change. Now the question is that do I really need 144hz? Yes definitely because if you are in competition with your opponents you get an advantage over your opponents. 144hz is also good for human eyes because when we are playing a game all we need is the focus and as 144hz is smoother so it is less harmful to our eyes.
Some people exclaim that the eye can only see up to a certain number of frames per second. This is not true whatsoever and has mostly been debunked as a myth. Our eyes do not quite work the same ways as displays do, so it is hard to measure how many frames per second we can see.
What we do know is that those who have used 144hz monitors can agree that they can see a difference when playing games so when a person moves from 60hz to 144hz he/she clearly notices the cursor speed on their displays.
So if you care about performance, frame rate, and getting a competitive edge, you should go for a higher refresh rate monitor. By using 144hz you will not lose a bit of color accuracy. We are upgrading everything nowadays so why play games with a lower refresh rate?
144hz is also good for working purposes here we should conclude it, For better experience and for enjoying games it’s better to choose 144hz than 60hz. A person can get 144hz at different prices as it is not that expensive. With the rise of esports and competitive games, gamers everywhere are looking for as much as of a competitive advantage over their opponents as possible so 144hz is perfect for this purpose.
Best 144hz Gaming Laptops (IN 2020)
Thanks to the advanced gaming industry that has produced unimaginable gaming laptops having matchless features of audio, graphics, and classic hardware designs. Many also offer dual functionality of the workstation.
In a rush? Bewildered to get the best yet inexpensive gaming laptop? Forget about worrying and give yourself a few minutes to go through our list of gaming laptops with 144hz. Pretty sure your time, energy and money will not be wasted!
A balance between portability and power bangs is offered by the ROG Zephyrus G15. With its superb features of AMD’s Zen 2 RYZEN 4000 CPU, it’s an amazing choice for gaming or for daily use.
Recently in 2020, Asus launched two models ROG Zephyrus G15 with Ryzen 7 4800HS. 144hz and 240hz refresh rates are available. Both are good but 240hz is best because it provides a higher refresh rate but it is expensive so 144hz ROG ZEPHYRUS G15 with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660Ti is more suitable.
With a lightweight of 4.6 lbs, ROG Zephyrus G15 provides mesmerizing features. It is equipped with a brushed metal lid, keyboard deck, and the bottom made of plastic. The fun does not end here because it comes with a black non-lit ROG logo at the lid cover.
Its lightweight design makes it portable enough to carry the laptop wherever you. Whether in a college or at a friend’s place it’s tough exterior will never let you complain about the laptop.
The long battery timing coupled with flashy lights and strategic angles makes it more attractive than its peers. The only aspect that might bother you is that ROG Zephyrus does not have a webcam.
2. Acer Nitro 5 – Immersive Experience with a Comfortable Keyboard
Acknowledging the hardware feature, the Acer Nitro 5 owns a comfortable keyboard more than what you can expect as it does not require higher actuation. However, the key lightning is highly bothersome. It would be much better if an ugly bright red color shouldn’t be there on the keys.
Acer Nitro 5 is the kind of gaming system that’s packed with a long-life battery and flawless graphics, making you overlook the Intel systems for now.
3. Alienware Area-51m – Giving You an Unmatchable Keyboard
Alienware Area-51m is the most promising and highly powerful laptop on the market currently, and you can never be unimpressed by this machine. The comfortable keyboard and VR features are simply a cherry on top.
This laptop is a perfect replacement for a desktop. Hence making it the best laptop for stationary gamers and can be considered as an alternative of a PC. Alienware Area-51m is a complete package equipped with a mouse and a keyboard so need not invest an extra amount for external peripherals.
Once you get this laptop I am pretty sure you’ll not be the first person praising the rollover technology of its keyboard.
4. Asus TUF A15 – The Most Exciting Laptop
Asus TUF A15 is equipped with three USB ports of Type-A. Two of the ports support USB 3 speeds while the other one supports USB 2 Hence, making it a considerable peripheral device.
Digging in deep, there are HDMI, LAN and a USB Type-C port for connecting external displays. The ports are asymmetrical aligned and located on the left side. There is no chance of the cables blocking the adjacent ports because the spacing between them is adequately designed.
Interestingly, Asus TUF A15 features the most updated mobile processors, AMD Ryzen 4000. The laptop is moderately priced which is definitely another wowing feature to get your hands on it.
5. Acer Predator Helios 300 – Take Control of The Game
The Acer Predator Helios 300 gives fast and considerable gaming performance. It is a well designed 15 inches laptop that can handle triple-A games at 1080 p without any hassle.
Refresh rates of 144 Hz have become a norm and so is followed by Acer. However, the one in our review unit left us with a bit of a sour aftertaste. This laptop has impressive colors and praiseworthy features.
However, backlight bleeding has left us with a bit of a sour aftertaste because under such a price tag one could not accept a drawback like this one. Including an additional 512 GB of storage is insane so why not opt for 1 TB option offered by Acer Predator?
6. Razer Blade 15 – Ultra Small & Powerful Laptop
The Razer Blade 15 is one of the smallest 15.6 inches gaming laptops. This one features 144Hz refresh rates, 8th gen Intel Core i7 6-Core processor, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q graphics. Isn’t it a complete package of fun and satisfaction?
Razer has a very intelligent cooling system for hardware which is cooled by the vapor chamber thermal solution. Realistically speaking it does heat up the fans during gameplay, however, the Blade directs away from the heat from the WASD position. Therefore, Razer Blade never disappoints to keep the balance between thermals and performance.
7. MSI GL65 Leopard – A Midrange Desktop Replacement that Does Not Burn a Hole In Your Pocket
The MSI GL65 Leopard is a classic example of a budget-friendly gaming laptop. It comes with a fantabulous speed, excellent display, and impressive hardware. However, the budget constraints have compromised on the heating and storage system of the laptop.
Besides gaming, MSI GL65 Leopard is exemplary for routine tasks as well as it does not slow down even with multiple Microsoft Edge tabs open, along with heavy applications like Affinity Photo, Spotify, and Slack.
1. How many Hz should a laptop have?
Normally, laptops have a 60 Hz refresh rate. However, gaming laptops possess 144hz to 300hz as they have a higher refresh rate than others.
2. 100 vs 144hz
100hz means the display refreshes 100 times per second to show a new image whereas 144Hz refreshes 144 times per second so 144hz is better than 100 as it eliminates the choppiness and motion blur.
3. Can thunderbolt 3 do 144hz?
It can support resolution including 1440p @ 144hz and 1080p @144hz.
4. 60hz vs 144hz for gaming?
144hz is better for competitive gaming as it has a higher refresh rate than 60hz.
5. Is 144 Hz worth it
YES, 144hz is worth it especially for competitive gaming as it eliminates the choppiness and motion blur and makes games more comfortable for a gamer.
6. Does 144hz mean 144fps?
YES, because it may be able to create 250 frames per second, but the monitor can only display 144 frames per second therefore, the maximum fps is equal to its refresh rate.
The hertz of gaming monitors fulfill the need for individual gaming and are easy on your budget. Maybe you would have spent money on 144hz monitors if you are a competitive gamer. If not, you should get it to make your gaming.
Some gamers like attractive graphics that have fast response time so they support a 4k monitor with an IPS panel, which mostly runs at 60hz. There are one or more things to keep in mind before upgrading and at the end of this article, you will be able to have a clear idea if you should stick with 60hz or move to 120hz, 144hz or 240hz models.
Display – A heart of Gaming Laptop
Without a perfect display, there is no fun in playing games on a gaming laptop. Here are certain features you need to look for the display of a gaming laptop:
- Size: Normally, gaming laptops possess 15 to 17 inches screens. There are some systems having 18 inches screen but it is of no use because the larger is the screen the heavier is the laptop. However, it is entirely up to the personal choice of a user.
- Resolution: Looking for a display of less than 1920 x 1080 is an absurd idea. Always look for RTX 2070 or RTX 2080 or 2560 x 1440 display.
- Refresh rate: For the gamers who have just stepped into the gaming field 60Hz display is more than enough. However, professionals prefer higher resolution displays of 2560 x 1440, 3840 x 2160. For even better and smoother gaming experience FHD displays are also the choice of many experts with 144Hz or 240Hz refresh rate.
- Quit touch screens: Touch screens are of no use for gaming laptops because they drain out the battery and unnecessarily makes the display glossier.
Graphic Cards For Gaming Laptop
Graphic card is also called GPU and it is the key feature of any gaming laptop. Graphic cards are accountable for delivering an image on the display by processing the data and transmitting the signals to the monitor.
The process is quite complicated especially when the game is running. Thereby, a need for an extra GPU is felt by gamers as it has its own dedicated memory, called VRAM (video memory). There are certain brands available on the market and the most common ones are Nvidia and AMD GPUs.
Good for Conventional Gamers
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060: Laptops equipped with 1060 cards can play games with mass effect without even compromising the visual effects like natural-looking hair and water reflections at 1920 x 1080.
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050/1050 Ti: The 1050 Ti is slightly more powerful as it can support Oculus Rift. However, it might disappoint professional gamers.
For Professional Gamers
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070: The middle child of Nvidia’s range of cards, this one is also capable of producing impressive frame rates. However, it isn’t quite as good as 1080.
For Hardcore Gamers
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080: Now this is the card to beat high-end games like Rising of the Tomb Raider and Grand Theft Auto V with the special effects settings and resolution turned all the way up. This pretty much ensures that Nvidia 1080 supports all your Virtual Reality desires of gaming. You only have to make your mind to spend some extra money as the Nvidia 1080 is only found in high-end systems like the Acer Predator 17X or Razer Blade Pro.
- SLI: Some laptops offer two GPUs as two is better than one. The Scalable Link Interface (SLI) configuration allows up to four GPUs to work together simultaneously. Hence, offering the best scaling graphics performance against extremely high frame rates. Acer Predator 21 X and the MSI GT83 Titan are equipped with SLI.
- Nvidia Max-Q Design: It focuses on efficiency rather than performance because it prevents the system from producing excessive heat and ultimately fans are not used as much. It means you get a cooler and a quieter system than your conventional laptops. Max-Q designed GPUs come up with 1060, 1070, and 1080 GPUs.
What To Look For In a Keyboard?
For an entry-level gaming keyboard chiclet keys having LED backlighting are formidable. However, for a professional gaming experience, a lot more is on the way.
- Key Travel: It means how far down a person can press a key. Generally, 1.5 millimeters of key travel is preferred and 2mm is not that bad either. Some expensive laptops are even equipped with mechanical keys.
- Actuation: It is the force needed to press down the keys. It is usually between 65 and 70 grams as it is appropriate enough to resist typing pressure.
- Macro Keys: Macro keys on gaming laptops are not commonly found but it’s not impossible either as custom software exists to serve the purpose.
- Anti-ghosting and n-key rollover: These two features give the best performance during gaming. Anti-ghosting means that when you press several keys altogether to perform several actions, they all will register. Whereas, n-key rollover means that each key is independent of the rest and will be registered independently regardless of the matter which other keys are being pressed.
- Backlighting: Inexpensive gaming laptops feature red or white backlighting. Highly professional laptops are equipped with RGB backlighting that either works for a specific section of the keyboard or for each key separately. Some high-end backlighting systems even let you change the lighting depending on the game.
Of course Brands Matter
Each brand of a gaming laptop has an eccentric flavor to serve. Some have a phenomenal hardware design while others have customized software to offer. Let’s have a sneak-peek into some of the most popular brands and see what they offer.
Alienware (Dell) – Dell has not only made entry-level laptops but has also stepped into the thin-and-light game with the Alienware m17 and has also designed a customized desktop-class powerhouse with the Alienware Area-51m.
Asus – Asus gaming brand has come up with some slick designs. It has its own Gaming Center software, ROG which shares the information including storage, temperature, and RAM usage. Whereas, the Armoury Crate program customizes RGB backlighting. Asus has also manufactured Zephyrus G14, one of the best AMD laptops in our list.
Acer – Acer is acceptable on the market owing to its affordable hardware. The PredatorSense app by Acer has wowed us by monitoring the CPU and GPU usage by customizing fan speeds.
HP – HP is appreciated and widely accepted for its slick and sleek design and maintains the aesthetics. The Omen Command Center by HP deals with the GPU and CPU usage, network system to prioritize bandwidth and RAM utilization.
Razer – Razer’s designs are phenomenally unmatchable and are famous for its RGB lighting. Razer Synapse records macros and adjusts the lighting on both accessories and laptops.
Bid Farewell To The Risks
Gaming laptops are a risky business to operate especially if your GPU gets into trouble then it requires an ample amount of time to fix, but if you are a user of traditional ones you can easily use graphics cards.
Relatively, powerful desktops are inexpensive then laptops because they have smaller custom components. You can also use a gaming desktop instead of a 17 – inch tank laptop as it is less expensive. So, think twice before buying a gaming laptop.
This was a brief note about awareness before searching for a gaming laptop. But here are some more tips.
Xbox controllers or a gaming mouse is perfect for gaming laptops. Laptops TouchPad is difficult to use while playing. Moreover, laptops speakers are not enough for a gaming purpose, so if you want a good audio experience spend some money on headsets or computer speakers.
And yes these tips are enough! Keep them in mind while searching for a laptop and you will definitely end up with a valid laptop that fits your budget and imagination
Hoping that the comprehensive Buying guide and the best 144Hz laptop for gaming article have served its purpose. Now, pretty sure some basic and professional buying techniques must be on your fingertips. If not then you can comment below your suggestions and reviews.