My Travel Gadget supported by its audience. When you purchase through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.
Pursing a degree in today’s time without a laptop is nearly impossible, especially for computer science students. With all the coding and programming tasks, each student needs a good laptop for computer science day to day assignments and tasks.
Sounds like an easy thing to do, right? But unlikely it is not as easy as it seems. Finding the best laptops for computer science majors can be a daunting task with numerous options available in the market. Students need to ensure that they are investing in a device that is neither overpowered nor underpowered for their educational and entertainment projects.
So to help you out and make the buying process easier for computer science and engineering students we decided to do some research of our own. After hours of research, we came up with a list of the best laptop for college computer science students, along with a detailed buyer’s guide to help you choose the best device out of all. So continue reading to find out more.
- 1 Best Laptops For Computer Science/Engineering Students
- 1.1 1. LG Gram Laptop (Best Laptop for Computer Science Students)
- 1.2 2. Apple MacBook Pro (Best Laptop for Computer Engineering Students)
- 1.3 3. Microsoft Surface Pro 7
- 1.4 4. Acer Spin 5
- 1.5 5. Acer Aspire 5
- 1.6 6. HP ENVY 13
- 1.7 7. ASUS ZenBook 13
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3 Final Words
Minimum and Recommended System Requirements For CS Students
Before you move on to the in-depth reviews of the best laptops in the market, you need to understand what system requirements a laptop should have in order to meet your computer science and engineering majors’ assignments. So here is the list of the minimum and recommended computer science laptop requirements that students should look for before making the purchase.
Remember, these are only the minimum and the recommended specs that we believe laptops should have in order to deliver the performance that you require. You won’t be able to find a device with the exact specs so go for a combination that offers the best specs in your range.
Windows VS Mac OS – Which Is Better For CS Students?
When buying a laptop, most buyers tend to forget that the operating system has the same importance as the hardware installed in the device. At present, four different operating systems are popularly used in the industry, but out of all Windows and Mac OS are regarded as the best when it comes to computer science students.
Both the operating systems have their own set of benefits to offer to the users, but many believe Mac OC to outperform Windows when it comes to programming. The reason being, Mac OS is UNIX based which means that you can easily run most of the developing software on the system without any setting up requirements since UNIX based system is most commonly used in the industry. Furthermore, the system also allows you to install Windows using Parallel or Bootcamp software to enjoy both.
On the other hand, Windows OS comes with its own set of benefits as well, such as Windows devices are much more affordable for students and also allow you to set up dual-boot. Since it is not UNIX based therefore you will need to install Linux in order to use a UNIX system and run most programming applications.
So both the systems have their own set of perks and drawbacks to offer. The one that you choose depends on your personal preferences and the budget. But we suggest that you try and invest in a Mac OS as it delivers a smooth and less complicated work experience.
Best Laptops For Computer Science/Engineering Students
Choosing one out of hundreds can be an intimidating choice. Therefore, to make your research easier, here is the list of the best laptops for computer programmers recommended by professionals and students like you for computer science and engineering courses. So, let us go ahead and review them in detail, so get a better understanding of what they have to offer to you.
1. LG Gram Laptop (Best Laptop for Computer Science Students)
2. Apple MacBook Pro (Best Laptop for Computer Engineering Students)
4. Acer Spin 5
6. HP ENVY 13
Buyer’s Guide – Best Laptops For Computer Science/Engineering Students
Buying a laptop for your specific majors in college isn’t an easy task and definitely not a quick one. Remember, if you rush into the process, you will end up investing in the wrong device, which will cost you in the long run and will impact your performance. So in order to find the most suitable device for your needs, you need to look at the following major features before making a decision.
- Processor: The processor is the brain of the laptop, so in order to enjoy a powerful and fast processing experience; you need devices that come with the latest and the most powerful processors. We suggest that you go with i5 or i7 processors with multiple cores and increased cache.
- RAM: In order to run your demanding applications and enjoy multitasking with ease you need a minimum of 8 GB RAM. But if you are planning on setting dual-boot and running UNIX software, then we suggest that you go for 16 GB or 32 GB for best performance.
- Storage: When it comes to storage, you need to consider the type and the amount. Your device will either come with HDD or SDD storage. We suggest that you go with SDD storage as it is faster and much more reliable. In terms of amount, 512 GB is the most suitable for computer science students.
- Graphics Card: For a student who is going to be using the device purely for studying purposes, GOU shouldn’t be a problem. Most high-powered devices come with built-in integrated Intel and AMD hardware which is more than enough for computer science students.
- Display: Since you will be staring at your system’s screen a lot, therefore, you need a device that comes with high resolution and built-in eye-straining prevention technology, preferably blue light that helps keeps your eyes healthy throughout processing.
- Battery: As a student, you will spend most of your time moving from one class to the other with no access to power outlets. Therefore, it is best to invest in devices that come with a battery life that exceeds 8 hours to enjoy a wire-free experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are gaming laptops good for computer science students?
There is a misconception that gaming laptops are only designed for gamers; thus, they are the only ones that can operate them. That is not true. The thing about gaming laptops is that they are packed with solid specs that are powerful and highly customizable to tackle high-end processing. For computer science students learning various programming languages, running codes all day long, gaming laptops can be a great fit.
2. Is 8BG RAM enough for computer science students?
The amount of RAM that a computer science student requires depends on his or her requirements. First-year students are only dealing with the basics; therefore, they aren’t required to run multiple powerful and dedicated programming applications on their devices.
For them, 8 GB RAM is more than enough. But if you want to get a device that is future proof, we suggest that you go with at least 16 GB RAM to enjoy a smooth and hassle-free coding and programming experience throughout college and professional life.
- Do computer science students need a powerful laptop?
Yes, as the name of the degree suggests, students studying computer engineering or computer science have the day to day tasks linked directly to computer systems. Their assignments are based on designing and programming different computer applications, developing UI and UXI, and so much more. In order to smoothly perform all such tasks, they need a powerful system that is equipped with everything from a high-end multicore processor and multitasking RAM to an immense shortage of space and multiple connectivity ports.
4. What is the importance of the cooling system in powerful laptops?
When the processing hardware of the laptop is all powered up, it eliminates a ton of heat similar to all other electrical components. The accumulation of heat in the system can lead to windows failure and also affects the durability of the hardware. Therefore, in order to keep the system cool while you run the most powerful applications in it, you need a device that comes with a built-in advanced cooling system with multiple fans, heating ducts, and vents to dissipate heat faster.
5. Is MacBook a good choice for computer science students?
In most cases, MacBook isn’t the best choice for students but not for computer science. The reason being, most dedicated programming software runs on the UNIX system, and the courses of the curriculum are also majorly taught on UNIX systems which makes Mac OS a great fit for students. But at the same time, it is much more expensive than Window’s systems so you might need to rethink your budget for that.
If you are an Apple fan and need a MacBook for your computer science studies, then we suggest that you go with the MacBook Pro as it is equipped with the features that you need and comes in various hardware combinations so you can choose the one that best fits your needs. Furthermore, it is quiet.
The key to finding the right laptop for your college students is to prioritize your needs. Make a list of the system requirements that you believe that you require and compare them with the list of specs of the laptops to find out which one of them offers the more powerful and flexible specs to meet your computing needs. All the laptops mentioned above are the best laptops for computer programming. We hope that you find the one that suits your needs the best.